Monday, January 18, 2016

Week 18 (1/18/2016)


Hello everyone!

I finished my training today! Woo hoo! The training program for missionaries is called "The First 12 Weeks". It basically helps you know how to direct lessons and everything you would need to do to immediately train another missionary once you are done. Luckily I am not training anyone. I'm staying in Piedras Negras for the next change as junior companion. Elder Muñoz is headed off to Saltillo and my new companion is named Elder Gallegos, I think. I'm not 100% sure because it was just related to me over the pone by Elder Muñoz. Regardless, this next change will be filled with all sorts of exciting things that I'll probably forget to tell you. However, I will try!

This week was a little bit different. We had to go to Saltillo (for the third time) so I could sign something for Elder Franco, the new secretary. I had signed the same thing for Elder Leon, the previous secretary, but it was under his name so Elder Franco couldn't use it. Regardless, we had another 8 hour bus ride to Saltillo. We went in the night so I didn't see any birds on the way there...However, I did spend some time on the bus reading the January Liahona. It was a little hard to read because the movie screen was right in front of our faces (we're not supposed to watch but it's REALLY hard on the buses) but I had a nice spiritual moment on the bus. I was just reading and I felt a new peace about my mission. It was a calmness that I hadn't really felt since before I even left and I felt at peace with it all.
We arrived in Saltillo really early in the morning and since there weren't a lot of taxis we walked all the way to the secretaries house. It took about 45 minutes and we got there at6:00 in the morning. We went inside and then I went and laid down for about an hour. After that we went to the office around 8:00. This was the first time I went to Saltillo not expecting a package and there just happened to be 3. That was pretty cool. Haha!
So, I signed the paper and then we waited around for a bit until we got back on a bus to Piedras at 12:20. On the way back it was day so I saw a few different birds.

This Friday we had a zone conference. The president came up and gave us the new mission moto. The old one was "¡En este misión bautizamos!" and it was changed to "¡En este misión enseñamos arrepentimiento y bautizamos conversos!" The change was made to help us focus on teaching the importance of repentance and making sure that our investigators are converted. It's part of a world wide change in mission culture. The conference went really well and it helped me change my mentality about my attitude here and how I teach the investigators.

This Tuesday (sorry, a bit out of order) we had our last regular zone meeting. This time it was actually kind of weird because a lot of the elders were actually moved around today and yesterday. We said goodbye to a lot of the elders. We took a zone photo in the baptismal font. We set our cameras on timers and ran around through the bathrooms and into the font but Elder Marin was a little slow running around so he tired to jump over the barrier (see potos).

Here are the birds!
Killdeer -Chorlito Tildío
Verdin -Baloncillo
Common Raven -Cuervo Grande
American Kestrel -Cernícalo Americano
Black Vulture -Zopilote Negro
Swainson's Hawk -Agililla de Swainson

Thanks for all of your support and for writing to me! Thanks to those that sent packages for Christmas (even though I got them late)!
I miss you all and I hope that everything is going well.
-Elder Steiner



I forgot to mention! Nelly had her farewell at the church the other day. We took a picture with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment