Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Week 22 (2/15/2016)

Hello everyone!

This week was pretty good. Not a lot exceptionally exciting happened but we're working hard! One good thing about being here is that it's not hard to get lessons. We had about 30 lessons this week and we've been racking up the new investigators. Everyone here has a Christian background so we just need to say we're sharing a message about Christ and if they aren't busy we're already walking in the door. That probably sounds pretty good but it's pretty hard to get them to realize that what we're telling them is something new and not what they've all already heard. We need to drop investigators about as fast as we get them simply because if people aren't going to change then there's no point in us visiting. However, I would much rather be gaining and dropping investigators super fast than never finding anyone to teach.

This week while we were walking across our area to a lesson I mentioned to Elder Gallegos that we should start doing express baptisms. Here in Mexico there are a bunch of trucks that drive around selling water, corn, bread, etc. All of them have speakers like an ice cream truck to let people know that they're coming. We were thinking that we could drive around in a truck with a font in the back saying "!Bautizmos¡ ¡Bautizmos gratis! ¡0 pesos y 3 grandes bendiciones!" I think we could get a lot more converts that way.

I learned this week that my body doesn't like it when: I eat really spicy chilies, do Insanity (the exercise videos), or eat brown mole (a type of sauce that you eat with chicken). The food here is usually really good and I haven't found many things that I won't eat. The members are also really nice about spicy food because they know that most Americans can't eat it. However, one sister put chilies out on the table the other day. Elder Weidmeier (one of the zone leaders) ate it right up without problems so I thought to myself "It can't really be that bad". I was very wrong. I nearly threw up and my mouth was dying. The sister brought me milk so I was okay but I don't think I'm doing that again.
About Insanity, Elder Gallegos and I started doing more exercise last week and it's going pretty good. The only bad thing is that it makes it pretty hard to do all the regular daily things when your whole body hurts. My legs have been sore for several days...
Brown mole is made with chocolate in it and you eat it with chicken. It is not really my favorite and it's really hard when the sister fills your plate up with it...I think out of all the foods here it is the one I like the least.

Here are the birds!
-Cedar Waxwing -Ampelis Americano
-Lesser Goldfinch -Dominico Dorsioscuro
-Black-throated Sparrow -Gorrión Gorjinegro
Again, not a lot this week but it's still fun to find and identify them. :)

This week we only had one investigator come to church. That was pretty frustrating... It was Ernesto and I don't really know what more to say. He's still not willing to get baptized and he's still being difficult.

Based on that we only had one investigator in church the spiritual thought is about church attendance. I can't think of anything better to do on Sunday than go to church. It is seriously the best thing for anyone's life and there are countless promised blessings that come with it. 
"And that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day" D&C 59:9
Keep going to church everyone and think about how much it really protects us from the filthiness of the world.

Thank you all for your prayers and emails and everything! You're all fantastic and I'm really grateful for you all.
Les amo y extraño.
-Elder Steiner

No comments:

Post a Comment