Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Week 23 (2/22/2016)

Hello evereyone!

Based on some of the emails I've gotten, none of the emails I sent last week went through so I resent all of them just a few minutes ago. You're all going to be really lucky and get two weekly emails from me this week!

This week went fairly well. Not a lot especially exciting happened but it was good. We had 29 lessons which was very nice and we found 14 new investigators. That was very good.

I decided to do an experiment this week to see if my water filter really works. It's obvious that it would have worked but it's fun to call it an experiment. I put some tap water in the bottle and filtered it and all and I'm yet to be sick! The tap water here isn't safe. It's very different from Utah where you can get water that's just as good as bottled water from your sink. I always feel a little worried when I'm washing the dishes because I'm not sure if I'm actually putting more germs and dangerous salts on than I'm getting off. Hmmm...

The other day Elder Gallegos said he'd give me 100 pesos (about 5 dollars) if I could catch a rooster. I decided to do it but I chose a hen instead because roosters can be a little nasty and will peck and scratch more than a hen. There was a group of them in a field along the road so I slowly walked over and tried to catch one. My chicken catching skills have gone down quite a bit since I left home so I wasn't able to catch any but Armando, our member friend, took some photos of me trying to catch it. I don't know if that was within the rules or not but it doesn't say anything about chasing chickens in the missionary handbook so why not!

Church was fantastic this week. We managed to have 10(!) investigators in sacrament meeting!! Six of them were people we found within the last week and four of them were progressing investigators from before. I was really happy because the most I've had come to church in one week is four or five.

Were probably going to baptize Jesús this Saturday. I'm really excited because it will be my first baptism! (Other than my little sister, Maisie) He has progressed really well and he got pretty excited about it after we took him to a baptismal service for the other elders. It's good to see the Lord's work in the life of our investigator.

Here are the birds! There were a lot more this week. :D
Chihuahuan Raven -Cuervo Llanero
Common Raven -Cuervo Grande
Ladder-backed Woodpecker -Carpintero Listado
Yellow-rumped Warbler -Chipe Rabadilla Amarilla
Killdeer -Chorlito Tildío
Herring Gull-Gaviota Plateada
Black-throated Sparrow -Gorrión Gorjinegro
Verdin -Baloncillo
Green Parakeet -Perico Verde Mexicano
Bewick's Wren -Saltapared de Bewick

This week's spiritual thought comes from Luke. I read this scripture the other day and it really made me think about how commited I am to the Lord and this work. It's Luke 9:61-62 which reads "And another also said, Lord I will follow the; but let me first go bid them farewell which are at home at my house, And Jesus said unto him, No man having put his hand to the plow and looking back is fit for the kingdom of God."
This scripture applies to all of us and our commitment to serve the Lord. Not all of have or will serve full time missions but we all need to commit our lives to the Lord and serving His children. In this dispensation we aren't required to sacrifice animals because the sacrifice we give is our full devotion and consecration unto the Lord. It's honestly really hard to fully consecrate ourselves to the Lord because of all the distractions and worldly things in our lives, but as we strive for perfection and follow the gospel of Jesus Christ we can get there step by step.

Thank you all for your prayers and support! Les amo y extraño.
-Elder Steiner

No comments:

Post a Comment