Friday, June 3, 2016

Week 34 (5/09/2016)

Hello everyone! Happy (late) Mother's day!

I hope you have all had a fantastic week because I know I have. It's been a little rainy this week which makes walking around all day a little harder but it's a lot better than the heat. The biggest downside to the rain is that it gets humid when the sun is out. This morning I felt like I was already drenched. I'm glad I'm in a desert so I'm not always dealing with humidity.

Last Monday we had a fun lesson with a family that we reactivated. Elder Bauer brought a bag of tootsie pops and made me do pushups so the family could get tootsie pops. It probably won't surprise most of you that after about 20 I was having a pretty hard time. I even had to do pushups when they didn't want the sucker. We taught about the Atonement and how Christ suffered so we could get free blessings. Also, how Christ suffered for us even if we don't accept the blessings so we may as well just accept it and get our blessings in stead of having our Brother suffer in vain.

Thursday was Cinco de Mayo. I bet a lot of you had parties in your Spanish classes or with your friends and whatnot. However, here in Mexico Cinco de Mayo is basically a regular day. I didn't know it was Cinco de Mayo until I had to write something in my agenda. America makes a way bigger deal out of it than Mexico.

On Friday we had a regular day of work but at one point we were walking along and an old man came by pushing an old lady in a bicycle cart thing. We immediately offered to help and we pushed them to a little health center. They weren't really interested in having a lesson but it was nice to help them out.

On Sunday I had to give a talk in sacrament meeting. Luckily I was actually warned a few days in advance instead of at the beginning of sacrament meeting. Haha! I also only had to give a short talk because the sister that spoke before went for about 25 minutes. I gave a little talk on missionary work and how it's everyone's responsibility. I think it went a lot better than my last talk. :)

Today we had a pretty relaxing pday. We played chess (I lost) and then risk (I won) and we got back from looking for souvenirs a little while ago. We also started reading the Book of Mormon over again as a mission. I'm going to do it all in Spanish this time.

We are going to baptize this Saturday! His name is Alejandro and his wife is a return missionary. He originally wanted to be baptized in June but he prayed about it and decided to be baptized this week! They want to get sealed in the temple so next year when they go they could invite me and I'd get to go to the temple during my mission!
Some other baptisms that we had lined up for this month because people keep making excuses about coming to church. Luckily we found a new family of three who are super excited so we might baptize them the 28th of May.

The spiritual thought this week comes from Elder Holland's talk from the October conference. "No love in mortality comes closer to approximating the pure love of Jesus Christ than the selfless love a devoted mother has for her child."
I am extremely grateful that I can testify of the love of a mother. I don't know if I'll ever really understand how much my mother loves me but I can see quite a bit of evidence in all that she has done for me. I know mother's day was yesterday but there isn't a day that we shouldn't be grateful for our mothers and all they do for us. Thank you for everything, mom.

I didn't see any cool birds this week. Sorry...

Thanks for reading! I hope you're all well!

Les amo y les extraño.
-Elder Steiner

No comments:

Post a Comment