Monday, October 26, 2015

Week 6 (10/23/2015)

**Will sent this letter on Friday. He called home from the airport on Monday morning and was so ready to go. He sounded happy and was excited to be on his way to Mexico!**

Hello everyone!

I'm finally leaving for Mexico on Monday! It's super exciting! I have really enjoyed my time here at the MTC but I've realized that it's a little to clustered with so many people in one place. I'm definitely ready to get out of here.

We got our flight plans last Friday after I had sent my emails. I'm leaving here around 5:00 in the morning in one of the MTC vans and then my flight to Mexico City is around10:00. I land in Mexico City at 2:00 and then have a 4 hour layover (Hooray...) until my flight to Slatillo. I'll probably buy some Spanish Books of Mormon to hand out and stuff. I may also get to practice my Spanish on the plane and such. I'll land in Saltillo around 8:00 p.m. so I'm not quite sure what I'll actually be doing for my first day in my mission. I'm going to be very tired the next day.

After the Sunday night devotional (it was by a BYU football guy so I just read my bird book and talked to Elder Kerns about birds) I looked around and realized how many people there were and how huge groups of these missionaries move in and out on a weekly basis. There are about 2000 missionaries here right now. That's a lot of people that are all going out to different parts of the world and we're all basically children! It's crazy to think about how many people are going to be influenced by all these young missionaries. I feel barely qualified to teach anyone anything, especially not in Spanish. I have no idea how our first lessons even worked because I feel like I know almost no Spanish right now. Haha! I think that really shows how the Spirit can work in people even just mock investigators. I truly have felt the Spirit in our practices and I think that's how the cracks get filled in.

Yesterday we had in-field orientation. It was mostly sitting and doing practices with random missionaries. It was really helpful, though. It was mostly to prepare us for what to expect in the first few days in the field and how to work with members and such. I got to see Elder Max Warner because he was in my same room. I don't think I mentioned yet but he's been here with me and I talk to him whenever I see him. It's helpful to have a familiar face and someone to talk to about what we did before the MTC and such.

Oh, I forgot to mention that we helped some of the new senior couples to their rooms and such on Monday. It was cool to talk to them and hear about their missions. They were all very nice.

I've grown a lot over the last few weeks and I'm really glad to be here. I've had to change myself in order to work better with people and I've had to adjust my mentality in order to feel the Spirit more fully. It's been a big change but a bigger one is yet to come.

Weekly bird list:
-House Sparrow -GorriĆ³n Domestico
-Scrub Jay -Chara Azuleja
-Cedar Waxwing -Ampelis Americano
-California Gull -Gaviota Californiana
I haven't seen very many being cooped up in the MTC. I'll probably have a longer list when I get to Mexico. Also, I decided to start listing the names in Spanish as well because why not?

I love and miss all of you. Thank you so much for the support and emails and everything. Also, thanks especially to Nan and Grandpa for sending me Halloween candy. My district and I appreciated it a lot. Haha!

Thanks again. I love you all.

-Elder Steiner

No comments:

Post a Comment